You can find in the market a variety of treatments to for skin bleaching: laser, microdermabrasion, oral treatments, cryotherapy, and commercial creams.
Using a skin bleaching cream or lotion seems to be the most common treatment. It is easy to find on the market a great variety of them. You will need prescription to buy some of them, and find the rest over the counter.
Most of the skin bleaching creams contain ingredients that can reduce the amount of melanin production by inhibiting tyrosinase, a key enzyme to melanin synthesis. Three of the most commonly used are:
- Hydroquinone. Potentially harmful but very effective. Skin bleaching creams containing hydroquinone are banned in Europe but available in USA (concentrations of 2% over the counter and higher by prescription).
- Arbutin. It is extracted from berry plants and it is a natural alternative to hydroquinone. It seems to whiten skin very effectively with no dangerous side effects.
- Kojic Acid. It is a natural ingredient extensively used in skin bleaching creams. It is found in a type of fungi, and also when fermenting rice to make sake.Besides inhibit melanin production, it has antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
Finding an effective skin bleaching cream should not be a problem. However, specially if your hyperpigmentation problems are not too serious, you can also try some home remedies. Keep in mind that home remedies, like commercial bleaching creams, must be applied regularly as a part of your daily routine.
Before applying a commercial skin bleaching cream or a home remedy, clean thoroughly your skin, it will increase the effectiveness.
(CAUTION: Do not apply on the eyes area)
- Buttermilk. One of the simplest skin bleaching home remedies is buttermilk.It contains lactic acid, which exfoliates the skin. Once the top layer is removed, the skin renews itself, appearing lighter in skin tone. Just apply buttermilk with a cotton ball. After15 minutes, rinse off the buttermilk with warm water.
- Potato. This is also a simple home remedy to lighten your skin. Shred a potato to form a paste, and then spread it on your skin. Try not to strain the potato when grating it, you want all the juices.They are the ones that contain the bleaching agent that will lighten your skin. Allow the potato mask to dry and rinse it off.
- Almond Paste. Almonds have lightening agents. Soak 5 almonds in a bowl of water overnight. Peel and mash them, converting them into a paste. Apply the paste on your skin. When the paste has dried, rinse it off with warm water.
- Orange peel. Sun dry some orange peels. When they are fully dried, grind them to make a powder. Add milk to it, make a paste and apply it on your skin. After fifteen minutes, rinse it with warm water.
- Sandalwood paste. Make a paste using sandalwood powder, lemon juice, tomato juice and cucumber juice. Spread it over your skin, and let it dry. Rinse with water.
- Lemon juice and honey. Using lemon juice, honey, almond and milk powder, make a paste. Apply it for 15 minutes and then rinse.
- Oatmeal, tomato juice and curd. Mix well the three ingredients and apply the mixture on your skin. After fifteen minutes, rinse it using cold water.
- Turmeric powder and lemon juice. After makeing a paste with these ingredients, apply it on your skin. After fifteen minutes you can rinse it with water.
If your problem with hyperpigmentation is not too serious, any of these home remedies can be effective. For more sever e hyperpigmentation problems, you better look for a commercial skin bleaching cream.